PA Logo
Petsitters Alliance
Dog
Home
Services
Our Areas
Book
Fees
Q & A
Join us as a Petsitter
National Petsitters insured, vetted, & experienced
 
Topical Advice from our Local Vet
 
     
Current Advice
Chocolate

Chocolate is one of the most common causes of poisoning in dogs.
It contains the stimulant 'theobromine' which cannot be metabolised by dogs unlike humans.
Puppies (inquisitiveness) and small breeds (relatively small body size) are more at risk.

Cocoa powder and baking chocolate are the most toxic, followed by semi-sweet, dark, milk and white chocolate in that order.

Symptoms include: vomiting, diarrhoea, restlessness, hyper-excitation, increased urination, panting, and in serious cases coma and death.

You should seek immediate veterinary help if you suspect/know your dog has eaten chocolate. The vet may need to make the dog vomit it back up, give it medication to absorb the chocolate in the gut and in some instances keep the dog in hospital for monitoring and further treatment.

 

Lungworm

Lungworm danger from slug on toyLungworm danger from snail
 

Lungworm parasite is an increasing, life-threatening problem. 'Hotspots' are Surrey and Cornwall. Dogs become infected by picking up toys, eating grass, or drinking from puddles where a slug or snail has been – or by eating slugs or snails themselves. Younger dogs and puppies are particularly at risk.

Symptoms of lungworm range through coughing, paralysis, fits or unexplained serious haemorrhage (bleeding). Most commonly used oral worming medications are not effective against this parasite.

Prevention can be achieved by using a monthly prescription 'spot on' treatment -- your vet will be able to advise.

Nikianna

Ed. A little more info can be found on the Bayer pages from where we borrowed the pictures of how dogs get infected with lungworm

 

 

Petsitters Alliance We won't let you down
             
Contact About Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy Refunds Links © 2009 Petsitters Alliance